Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 11: Coastal Ride (and Roller Coaster Tummy Ride)




The ang moh woke up and alas, the tummy is still talking. To add to the consumption issues (or lack of), a pounding headache and a strange rash has developed on my previous hematoma wound from the Muay Thai session. Hello Panadol and Zam Buk. Gerry, if you're reading this, your first aid kit is now empty.

So much for the eating tour. This is tragic but alas, maybe a cycling tour along the coast might just ease the rumblings of the intestines or what's left of it. I pray that I don't leave remnants of my innards along the 25 mile ride.




The local skipped breakfast reluctantly (walking along the multiple roti prata stores salivating) but insisted on stopping at East Coast Lagoon Hawker Center when it came to lunch. Walking around, she chose to join the one long line at the entire hawker center which sells Duck Rice. Duck rice was shimmering from the sauce and came with duck slices and duck gizzard over brown yam rice. Local is happy again. I just drank my coconut juice and watched the water skiiers get dragged around by cranes in the lagoon. That was supposed to be me! OH the injustice of it all. The locals are telling me to get adult diapers and do it anyway. Oh ha....ha....ha... don't think I won't! (Yeah, I won't. My bikini bottoms aren't wide enough.)







On the stroll to the hawker center to finally have my first meal of the day at dinner, I thought that I should have something clean and light. I ended up with Mee Soto, a spicy broth that is made from chicken stock and many different spices with noodles, bean sprouts and a potato ball. There was a small dish of extra chili next to my soup and, before I could say anything or even believe my eyes, the local had grabbed it, dumped it ALL in my soup and said, "To give the gravy a kick." My stomach too, no doubt, but I chose to think of it as medicinal, bug killing chili. This is yet another Malay dish, and I'll say it again, I do not know how those ladies can stand over a hot stove wearing veils, long sleeve shirts and floor length skirts/or pants when it's 90F degrees in the shade in front of a fan! I was sweating for them, so I washed it down with an icey "bird's nest" drink from a typical drink store that you can find in every hawker center ranging from coconut juice to pineapple. Would I live to regret this indulgence? Hell, who knows, but since I'm at it, I'll just have a fresh kaya waffle for dessert. Warm pandan waffle slathered thick with coconut jam. This ang moh is finally happy eating again. Wish me and my tummy luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment